Sunday, 16 March 2014
Week 9: Binary Search Tree and Big-O (Late Post)
I apologize for the lateness of this post. Usually this post would have been handed in on Friday, March 14, 2014, but due to travel and WiFi connectivity problems, I am posting last weeks response now. During last weeks lectures, Danny talked about Binary Search Trees and Big-O run times. Both of these lectures reminded me of my CSC165 class I had in first semester. I did have trouble with the Big-O notation from the CSC165 class considering that we were not coding but actually trying to prove it on paper. It's relieving to hear that it won't be necessarily required of me to do that. Thanks to Danny, he was able to re-iterate some of the characteristics of the Big-O and refresh my memory of what it is. Furthermore, when it comes to Binary Search Trees, using both insertion sort and selection sort, he was able to show me the differences of the two sorting methods effectively using the playing cards and the projector. I find the concept of searching through a Binary Tree easy considering that if you are searching for a number less than the root, you can ignore the right sub-tree and recursively call the same function on the left sub-tree to find the number you are looking for. In conclusion, Week 9 for me was like a refresher week from CSC165 and a helpful reminder for the different kinds of sorting. Thanks to Danny, I have gained a better understanding of these concepts and I hope they can benefit me more effectively throughout the next coming weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment